Opportunity Build is a job readiness program for adults who are interested in starting a career in construction or entering a union apprenticeship. Opportunity Build is a 12-month program that begins with short-term training at our Oakland facility. After completing the training, participants benefit from ongoing case management and job placement assistance, as well as alumni events and resources.
What Opportunity Build Teaches You
You will gain the skills to enter a union apprenticeship or a job in construction.
As an Opportunity Build graduate, you will have job and apprenticeship opportunities in a number of in-demand fields.
For details of current and upcoming training dates, click below.
THE OPPORTUNITY BUILD IMPACT
To apply for the Opportunity Build program, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Have a valid CA driver’s license or the ability to obtain one
- Demonstrate an 8th grade reading, reading comprehension, writing, and math level
- Be legally eligible to work in the United States
- Be fluent in English
- Have a stable living situation
Be able to attend training every day, as required for each training date class.
- Have reliable transportation to and from training
- Express strong motivation to find a job and/or enter an apprenticeship upon completion of training
- Be willing to make a 12-month commitment to your own professional development and to Rising Sun
“This was an excellent class and I am glad that I invested time and energy into it. I hope to stay connected to the contacts I have made here.”
“It was very enlightening to learn how wasteful and inefficient most homes are and how important small fixes and behavioral changes are.”
“I thought everything the class had to offer was fun. The hands on portion was great, I also thought the teaching was on point too.”