Do you want to start building your career? We can help.
As part of Opportunity Build, you’ll develop skills to help you identify which of the 28 building trades is your best fit, including:
- Carpentry basics such as framing, drywall, and more
- Blueprint reading
- Green construction
- Construction math
- Job site safety
- How to use power and hand tools
- Specific job interviewing techniques for the building trades
Program alumni have become the following—and certain trades offer direct entry for Opportunity Build graduates:
- Cement masons
- Iron workers
- Operating engineers
- Sheet metal workers
All enrolled students must:
- Be at least 18 or older
- Have a Social Security number/US work authorization
- Have a valid photo ID or driver’s license
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have proof of COVID-19 vaccination (fully vaccinated)
- Qualify as low income
Graduates leave Opportunity Build with certifications in:
- OSHA 10 Safety
- First Aid/CPR
- Multi-Craft Core Curriculum (MC3), developed by North America’s Building Trades Unions (NABTU) and offered with the approval and partnership of the Alameda County Building and Construction Trades Council
Upcoming in-person orientation and info sessions will take place on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, January 18, at 1 PM
- Thursday, February 1, at 1 PM
- Thursday, February 15, at 1 PM
- Thursday, February 22, at 1 PM
All info sessions will occur at 1116 36th Street, Oakland, CA. Please arrive at least 30 minutes in advance of the scheduled start time.
2024 Training Dates
February 26–May 3, 2024 | Monday–Friday, 8:00 AM–4:00 PM
Women Building the Bay
Opportunity Build’s Women Building the Bay is the premier program in the Bay Area for connecting women and non-binary students to careers in the trades.
June 11–September 7, 2024 | Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00 PM–9:00 PM; Saturdays, 8:00 AM–4:00 PM
Opportunity Build Core (Nights and Weekends)
For students that have daytime commitments, we offer a Tuesday/Thursday evening and Saturday day class each summer.
October 7–December 13, 2024 | Monday–Friday, 8:00 AM–4:00 PM
Opportunity Build Core (Fall)
This full-time cohort supports students of all genders and backgrounds in launching new careers in the skilled trades.